Monday, June 19, 2023

Five years of watching horror! What movies have stuck with me?

It didn't occur to me until mid-June that my 155th horror review, "Critters," which I posted on May 21 marks five years of blogging about horror movies. I posted my first review, "The Horror of the Zombies" (1974) on May 22, 2018. Knowing how I tend to wain when it comes to keeping things going, I honestly thought I'd lose my steam and this attempt at writing horror reviews would fade. It hasn't yet. 
After writing the news for a local Kansas paper for five years until to 2018, I didn't want to lose that writing drive, nor the talent to write no matter what which I somehow strengthened during my time as a news writer. So, I decided to start 1000daysofhorror.com. Since I also love watching non-horror flicks, I started another blog - dontfastforward.blogspot.com
My initial goal for this horror outlet was to watch and write about obscure movies. But I've since discovered that throwing in commentary on the latest horror releases brings in readers. Catching the attention of people out there is a slow process indeed. I had planned to start these 1000 days of horror by working my way through 100 film titles listed in a book called "100 Best Horror Movies" by Gary Gerani, published by Fantastic Press. I was going to start at the 100th movie Gerani recommends called "House of Dark Shadows" (1970). From there I'd search for each movie title in his book beofre looking for additional films to add. It's a great book and discusses some really choice films in the horror genre, and why each film is important in horror. 
Right now, I'm working on a review for the 2023 movie "Cocaine Bear." It'll be my 158th horror review. 
I'm already at the point where I've come across movie titles and can't recall if I've written about them or not. 
Anyways, having been at this for five years now, I'm looking back and reminiscing about which movies I do remember reviewing and enjoying the most. Consider these recommendations. 

~


5) Duel (1971) - This Steven Spielberg flick deserves a lot more attention than it receives. It's one of the most edge-of-
your-seat thrillers I've seen. It uses a little to give the audience a lot. 

8) The People Under the Stairs (1991) - This was a favorite horror movie of mine back in my teenage years. It's a unique movie, based on a true story, from director Wes Craven. What's inside the walls? What's behind all those doors? It's an imagination's playground.

10) The Gate (1987) - This is classic 80s horror at its best. It's pure nightmare fuel. The frightening imagery will definitely stick with you for quite a while. While it's lacking in story, with too much exposition, it definitely makes up for in its terrifying scenes and creatures. 

18) Frozen (2010) - No, this isn't the Disney movie. But when it comes to "letting go," this film has something different in mind. The most plausible and realistic horror out there involves scenarios that could really happen. It presents the audience with a scenario they can easily picture themselves in. It begs the question, "what would you do?" This is one such film, and it's done well.  

23) Warlock (1989) - Actor Julian Sands, who stars in this paranormal horror movie, has a domineering presence on screen. And it's best demonstrated in this movie in which he plays a Warlock. Incidentally, Sands went missing in January 2023 while hiking at Mount Baldy, California, in the San Gabriel Mountains. As far as I know, he has yet to be found. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. 

30) Bloody Birthday (1981) - This kind of movie would have a hard time being made today. Anyone who thinks the kids are alright ought to watch this flick. Such is not always the case. It's a suspenseful, very dark, and alarming film. I recommend it but with a caution.

31) Willow Creek (2013) - Evidently, actor and comedian Bobcat Goldthwait has a keen interest in Bigfoot. So, he directed this film about Bigfoot which is impressively thrilling and an edge-of-your-seat experience. 

37) The Beyond (1981) - Some of the best horror (and food) comes from Italy, like this movie. While it feels a bit slow in its pacing, it definitely makes up for it with its horror and style that doesn't hold back. 

44) The Witches (1990) - Outside of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" this movie, based on the
book by Roald Dahl, is a great children's movie. The make-up is fantastic, and the premise is even better. 

50) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - Hands down, this is one of the greatest horror movies of the silent era, and one of the best examples of German impressionist style on film. It's one of the greatest and foundation horror movies ever made. 

65) Ghost Story (1981) - "Ghost Story" does drag out, but the story, cast, and a few unnerving and creepy scenes make it a worthwhile watch. 

72) Lake Mungo (2008) - This documentary style movie is a great modern horror that utilizes fear and intrigue. It kept me glued to the screen from beginning to end. 

76) Better Watch Out (2016) - Some of the horror genre's best is set during the Christmas season. This movie is like a loose version of "Home Alone" with a horror twist. It adds realism, trepidation, and gore to the mix. 

78) The Old Dark House (1932) - The psychological horror factor in this classic film starring Boris Karloff makes it a foundational movie for the genre. It uses eccentric characters, religious infatuation, unsuspecting guests, sexual proclivity, and a heavy use of shadows to portray its horror style.

82) Fatman (2020) - The setting of this dark action thriller is a real-world scenario where Santa Claus, played by Mel Gibson, exists. At first, I considered it simply an o.k. movie. Since then, it has grown on me. 

88) Parents (1989) - This movie feels like a mix between "A Christmas Story" (minus the Christmas) and
"The Shining." This is quite a twisted psychological horror that'll probably need more than one viewing. It's an underrated gem. 

92) In the Mouth of Madness (1995) - Horror legend John Carpenter delivers one of the best and most unsettling psychological horror movies out there. This is one major twisted tale. 

93) Tourist Trap (1979) - I'm throwing this title in among my favorites because its director David Schmoeller has filmed some of the creepiest scenes I've ever seen in horror. He has a knack for that in a lot of his flicks. I don't recommend this movie for anyone with a fear of mannequins. 

94) Rent-A-Pal (2020) - I heard of this movie in passing while listening to a podcast about something completely off topic. This flick works well as a thriller, utilizing themes such as loneliness and low self-image.  

100) The Monster Squad (1987) - This classic 80s movie was my introduction to the classic Universal monsters. It doesn't hold back for a kid's movie and is a great movie for Halloween night. Also, Dracula calls a little girl a "bitch." He's evil. What do you expect, an evil bloodsucker who watches his language? So, take that for what it's worth. 

109) Dead of Night (1945) - I included this classic anthology horror in my look at horror anthologies in general. It's unique in the way the stories are tied to each other, with a conclusion that leaves the audience wondering what was real in the movie. 

125) Godzilla (1954) - This is the movie that introduced the world to the King of the Monsters. It's included in my all-series film reviews from last Halloween, which I dubbed Halloween 2022's Godzilla-Maniapalloza Extravaganza begins...For the Love of Godzilla. All Hail, the Monster King! 

142) The Horror of Dracula (1958). I've reviewed a few Hammer horror flicks on here, but this remains a true classic among them. Christopher Lee's Dracula is by far one of the best and most memorable depictions in horror history. This movie has certainly aged well with time and kept its rightful place among memorable horror movies.

154) The Menu (2022) - This black comedy which rips on pretentious foodies and food critics definitely hits the spot. The comedy is ripe. The acting is superb. And the comedy is subtle but strong.  

So, that's 158 horror movies down, and 842 more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment