Saturday, July 20, 2019

Another year, another Horror Convention

Some horrific dreams came true this year as I made my way again to St. Joseph, Mo., for Cyrpticon 2019.
I  was privileged to meet some notable names in the horror/thriller genre - Dee Wallace (Cujo, E.T.), Tsutomu Kitagawa (Godzilla 2000, Godzilla: Final Wars), Bin Furuya (Ghidorah; The Three Headed Monster, Invasion of Astro-Monster, Ultraman), and Tom Savini - actor, director, and make-up artist (Creepshow 1 and 2, Dawn of the Dead). All where just awesome to chat with, and I appreciated the opportunity to have them sign items for me.
I had hoped to meet Heather Langenkamp (A Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 3, Wes Craven's New Nightmare) but I just didn't get the opportunity.
This was my second Crypticon-my second horror convention...ever. I was like a kid in a candy store...in a parallel universe...with monsters and stuff roaming around...and a random wrestling match taking place...some creepy old guy dressed as a creepy Santa Claus walking around...and LEGOs. A good number of vendors were selling horror movies, some of which were hard to find elsewhere. I guess if you go to a movie convention, you're going to want to buy movies.
I wish I picked out a few more titles than I did. Being nostalgic for VHS tapes, I picked up a copy of Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (1943), Warlock (1989), and a one of those DVD collections of 50 B-horror movies in one package. I have plans for that!
My next review will be the movie Warlock. In the mean time, Pictures!






Dee Wallace

Bin Furuya






Midland Empire Ghostbusters



Tsutomu Kitagawa
Crypticon 2018 highlights

No comments:

Post a Comment